Monday, February 16, 2009

Change context over time

Hi all,
Some thoughts on how the context of my teaching has changed over the period of my practice.
The very first few classes I had to take were completely without any preparation. I just held forth banking on limited knowledge of the subject. There were skeptical faces, but after the 45 mins or so, the students felt that I might be able to teach after all. Then later on of course there was much preparation, referring books, discussing with colleagues/friends. I created work-sheets which served me well during the classes.
I have found over the years that students listened better to teachers if they showed compassion, were attentive to their problems and were related to them at different levels; eg. playing games with them, laughing, joking, participating along with them in dramas, music etc. So it has been my endevour to cultivate this multi-level relation as far as my talents, interests allowed me.
In this school, it has been more of a straight jacket demanour than work at another school previously. My personal feeling is that when a teacher is allowed almost limitless freedom in his/her work, the quality of teaching is far richer and deeper than that is possible with rules and regulations and other such fetters around. But I also understand institutional limitations.
So to have quality time inside the class I have tried to relate to students outside class!

5 comments:

  1. Shibu da,
    I think your analysis of the importance of relationship building with students is absolutely right. I understand the fetters of syllabus coverage that you are obviously referring to! But is there no way of bringing in the fun of drama, music and other talents that you so enjoyed in your previous school wit your students, into the classroom that you teach now. Surely, you have that freedom! Even if it happens in a few units of work, it will be worthwhile and may make the student-who-hates- maths, love it!! Do try! If this course enables you to have this conviction and make the changes necessary to achieve the time for building relations, it will be fully worth all the trouble for you!

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree what you have written. Freedom for teachers to teach works wonders, especially if the person is very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tara,
    didn't expect a comment so soon. You must be watching the blog 24 hrs.
    There have been quite a few 'highs' in my teaching here too. These have been subtantiated by letters from parents, and student voices/expressions. So all is not lost! We move forward!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr.Shibu
    I agree with you on the multi level of involvement to build quality relationship with the students. I am sure even in this school opportunities are available.
    Rehana

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess we are all apprehensive in the beginning but with time gain competence and proficiency. We all unanimously agree that as teachers we need to build a healthy relationship with our students. As far as making the lessons interesting is concerned, to keep the students engaged and to change their perspective towards a particular subject, I think that happens only when we come out of the dogmatic view that teaching need not be done using the traditional methods. Since you have an extensive teaching experience, I am certain that you have mastered the task of planning enjoyable lessons for your students. It would be nice if you could share some of the “highs” in your teaching career.

    ReplyDelete