Monday, February 8, 2010

Tuning Protocol

Today at 8.30, PPSE group met for tuning protocol. Mrs. Sumi Waren and Mrs. Anusuya Roy, was our guides.
I had brought a piece of work which was given in the class to assess the child's creative thinking and writing; reading and comprehension.
This was in the form of a worsheet from write time. The child had to read a the story and answer the questions, in fill in the blanks form. An other was the child has to read the story and complete the story.

The questions that I out forward was:
How well the child is able to read, comprehend and complete a piece of creative writing.

The piece of work was shown to the group and was given for a protocol and a discussion happened. I told them that the child needs one to one support, has difficulty in reading and writing and putting thoughts in paper.
The guides, Archana and Aparjita were there.
They gave their inputs in their discussions, where I was a silent listener.

The discussions that came out:

They thought it was a good activity and apt worksheet.
The rubrics was also apt.
The assessment rubrics showed that the child was still in Novice.
They were discussing as why the child had novice.
If that was so, then the assessment could have been different.
It could have been done orally, ( completing the story ) like asking the child to eloborate and then helped in putting the thoughts in a paper.The child could have enacted the remaining part of the story or narrated. this could have been a good assessment for assessing the creative thinking process.
Aprarjita, suggested that I should have given them pictures and ask them to sequence or organise it in a right order.

My reply:

I liked the way the discussions happened. It allowed me to think differently.
I thought yes, they were right. I should have thought the other way also. I was happy with there suggestions. I even felt that I should have atleast asked the child to draw or I should have given pictures to identuify.
I thanked for their valuable inputs and I shall incorporate them in my teaching and learning process. A different way and approach to assess, a child with learning difficulties.

Bhagya.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Bhagya

    I am glad that the CASW did happen and that Sumi and Anasuya were present - it helps in creating a community of practitioners - one of the fundamental aims of the PPSE. If you felt that this experience helped in sharing your work then the effort was worth while.

    I feel that there were several ideas for alternative forms of assessment that emerged from the discussion that are truly valuable. I hope you feel enthused to try these ideas in your next round of assessment for children who may be at the Novice level, and also those who may be at more advanced levels. Have a range of assessments is key to offering different choices to the child to learn and show evidence of understanding in styles that best suit him or her.

    Tara Kini

    ReplyDelete